C.V. of Meghan Burchell, MA
2004-Present: PhD Candidate, Department of Anthropology, McMaster University
- Histories of Shellfish Harvest and Management on the Coast of British Columbia: A novel approach using high-resolution stable isotope sclerochronology. Supervisor: Dr. Aubrey Cannon, Committee members: Dr. Henry P. Schwarcz, Dr. Kostalena Michelaki
2001 - 2003: Master’s of Arts (MA), Department of Anthropology, McMaster University
- Gender and Status Representation in Northwest Coast Burials
1998 - 2001: Honours BA, Anthropology, McMaster University
ACADEMIC & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Department of Anthropology, McMaster University
2010 - Present: Facilities Director, The McMaster Centre for Sustainable Archaeology
- Working in collaboration with researchers from the University of Western Ontario and McMaster University to develop two repositories for archaeological material recovered from Cultural Resource Management firms, local museums, universities and private collectors. Specific responsibilities included designing the 2,000 square feet of wet and dry laboratories, coordinating meetings between contractors, vendors and university administrators, researching analytical equipment, and assisting with managing an infrastructure budget of 3.5 million dollars.
2010, 2011: Instructor, ANTH 3CC6 – Archaeological Field School
- Instructor for an archaeological field course at an archaeological site on the north shore of Lake Ontario, spanning 3000 years of occupation. Subjects covered in this course include survey, total station mapping, excavation as well as laboratory analysis and conservation of recovered artifacts.
2006 - 2011: Instructional Assistant
- Responsibililies include the management of undergraduate archaeological laboratories and an extensive archaeological research collection. Specific duties included, but not limited to: designing undergraduate courses; supervising undergraduate research; training research assistants in archaeological laboratory methods, and co-supervising the Archaeological Field School. Other responsibilities include overseeing laboratory health and safety practices, working with faculty in the preparation of grant writing and applications, as well as working with various departments in the University to provide academic opportunities to undergraduate students.
2004 - 2006: Undergraduate Lab Technician
- Responsibilities focused on the maintenance of undergraduate teaching labs in archaeology, ancient DNA, modern human genetics, skeletal biology and paleopathology.
2003 - 2005: Research Assistant, Fisheries Archaeology Research Centre
- Specialization in the preparation and thin sectioning of marine bivalves, microscopic digital imaging, seasonality analysis of marine resources and analysis of marine archaeological remains.
2000 - Present: Teaching Assistant
- Courses: ANTH 1B03 Introduction to World Archaeology
- ANTH 2PA3 Introduction to Prehistoric Archaeology
- ANTH 2D03 Genetics in Anthropology
- ANTH 2U03 Plagues and People
- ANTH 2W03 Aztecs and Incas
- ANTH 3K03 Archaeological Interpretation
- ANTH 3RU3 Religion and Power in the Past.
FUNDING & AWARDS
- 2011: School of Graduate Studies, PhD. Research Travel Funding
- 2011: Department of Anthropology, McMaster University Travel Award (Sacramento, CA)
- 2010: Graduate Students Association, Travel Award (Mainz, Germany)
- 2010: Social Sciences Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) Doctoral Fellowship (2 years)
- 2010: Recipient of the President’s Award for Outstanding Service, McMaster University
2008: Centre for Leadership in Learning. Small Project Grant, McMaster University:
‘Teaching Metric Analyses in Archaeology: Exploring artifact abundances in a Neutral Iroquoian Village’ with T. Carter, K. Michelaki, T. Orchard
2007: Centre for Leadership in Learning, Large Project Grant, McMaster University:
‘The Outdoor Laboratory for Experimental Archaeology’ with K. Michelaki, A. Cannon
2006: Experiential Education, Departmental Project Grant, McMaster University:
‘Zooarchaeology’ with A. Cannon
2005: Experiential Education Departmental Project Grant, McMaster University:
‘Paleopathology and Skeletal Biology Teaching Collection’ with S. Saunders
2004: Refining, Directions Infrastructure Funding, McMaster University:
‘Undergraduate Archaeological Teaching Laboratory’ with M. Cooper, A. Cannon
- 2003: Nominated for the President’s Award for Outstanding Service, McMaster University
- 2002: Graduate Studies Continuing Scholarship
- 2002: Research Assistant Scholarship
- 2002: Graduate Studies Association Travel Scholarship, McMaster University
- 2002: Gwen George Memorial Bursary, McMaster University
- 2001: Graduate Studies Entrance Scholarship, McMaster University
- 2000 - 01: Dean’s Honor List, McMaster University
- 2011: Director. McMaster Archaeological Field School at the Nursery Site, AhGx-8. Stage 3 Archaeological Assessment. Royal Botanical Garden, Hamilton, ON.
- 2010: Director. McMaster Archaeological Field School at the Nursery Site, AhGx-8. Stage 3 Archaeological Assessment. Royal Botanical Garden, Hamilton, ON.
- 2009: Sampling and Survey. Heiltsuk Traditional Territory, Central Coast, British Columbia
- 2009: Co-Supervisor. McMaster Archaeological Field School at The Nursery Site, AgHx-8 Royal Botanical Gardens, Hamilton, Ontario
- 2006: Field Archaeologist. Dundas Island Group, British Columbia
- 2006: Field Supervisor. McMaster Archaeological Field School at The Nursery Site, AgHx-8, Royal Botanical Gardens, Hamilton, Ontario
- 2005: Field Supervisor. McMaster Archaeological Field School at Dundurn Castle, Hamilton, Ontario
- 2002: Field Archaeologist. Prince Rupert Harbour Archaeology Project, British Columbia.
- 2002: Field Archaeologist. Skeena River Historic Archaeology Project, British Columbia.
- 1999: Field Archaeologist. Chippawa archaeological recovery, Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON.
ACADEMIC & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- 2010: Guest Researcher, University of Mainz, Department of Applied and Analytical Paleontology, Institute for Geociences.
- 2010: Ontario Archaeological Research License, Ministry of Culture. No. R348
- 2007: Ontario Archaeological Society
- 2007: Society for Archaeological Sciences
- 2006: International Council for Archaeozoology
- 2006: Geological Society of America
- 2005: Geological Association of Canada
- 2004: Archaeological Society of British Columbia
- 2001: Society for American Archaeology
2000: Canadian Archaeological Association
COMMITTEES & UNIVERSITY SERVICE
- 2010: Planning Committee member for the 2nd International Sclerochronology conference, Mainz Germany
- 2009: Founder of ASK! Anthropology Skills and Knowledge – A mentorship program for undergraduate students, Department of Anthropology, McMaster University
- 2005 - 2008: McMaster University Joint Health and Safety Committee – (Chair 2006-2008)
- 2003: Planning Committee for the 36th Canadian Archaeological Association annual conference, Hamilton, Ontario
- 2001 - 2003: Review Editor. Nexus: The Canadian Student Journal of Anthropology