- Development of Flanking Structures - These structures are important as shear sense indicators. We model them with analogue materials.
- Sandbox models of block rotation and rift interaction - DAAD project where we compare structures that develop in Sandbox models with numerical simulations and patterns in the East African Rift System.
- The development of Microstructures in low temperature Environments and their influence on the rheology of the Crust.
- Boudinage and Fracture spacing - study the spacing and development of fractures in competent layers.
- Dymanics of vein forming mechanisms - study in detail the formation and dynamics of veins including hydrofracturing.
- Phase-boundary structures - study in detail structures that develop during dissolution-precipitation creep and other phase-transitions. These structures may be useful as stress indicators.
- Melt-solid reactions and associated structures - study melt solid reactions on the grain - scale to determine stabilties of wetting angles.
- Coupling between different processes during dynamic recrystallization - determine deformation mechanism maps of different dynamic processes.
- Lithospheric scale models of rift segment interaction and rift flank uplift.